Couples’ Relationship Coaching
Relationships are often the most important area of our life that drives everything else, so relationship coaching can make a major impact on your life. Couples' relationship coaching is a specialized form of coaching that focuses on improving and enhancing the dynamics and communication within romantic relationships. The primary goal of couples coaching or relationship coaching for couples is to help couples build stronger, healthier, and more fulfilling partnerships.
A coach can facilitate open and constructive conversations, which helps you learn how to improve your communication, resolve conflicts, and set mutual goals. Through a greater understanding of each other, you can get a fresh perspective and tools to help you and your partner grow together and rekindle and deepen intimacy between you. As a result, you can explore ways to enhance your romantic and sexual relationship, clarify your personal and shared goals and aspirations, align your visions to create a mutually fulfilling future, prepare for family transitions, and identify areas to improve your overall relationship satisfaction.
It's important to note that relationship coaching may not be suitable for all situations. In cases of abuse, severe emotional distress, or mental health issues, professional marriage counseling or couples therapy may be more appropriate. In the case of infidelity, a therapist may be recommended. Otherwise, a coach can offer practical guidance and create the structure for rebuilding trust.
Here are some of the key aspects of what relationship coaching for couples does:
1. Improving Communication: Communication is vital in any relationship. Couples coaching helps partners develop more effective communication skills, enabling them to express their feelings, needs, and concerns openly and honestly. This improved communication fosters understanding and emotional connection between partners.
2. Conflict Resolution: Couples often face conflicts and disagreements. Coaching helps couples learn constructive ways to handle conflicts, leading to more productive discussions and resolutions. It promotes empathy and active listening, allowing partners to find common ground and work through challenges together.
3. Identifying Patterns and Behaviors: Coaches help couples recognize harmful patterns and behaviors that might be negatively impacting their relationship. By identifying these patterns, couples can work on breaking unhealthy habits and establishing healthier ways of relating to each other.
4. Rebuilding Trust: Trust is fundamental in a relationship, and coaching can address issues related to trust and betrayal. The coach can guide partners through the process of rebuilding trust after it has been damaged.
5. Setting and Achieving Goals: Couples coaching assists partners in setting shared goals and aspirations for their relationship. It helps them align their values and create a vision for their future together. The coach supports the couple in working towards these goals step-by-step.
6. Enhancing Intimacy and Connection: A strong emotional and physical connection is essential for couples. Coaching can help partners deepen their intimacy, rekindle romance, and strengthen their bond.
7. Addressing Individual Needs: Couples coaching also acknowledges the importance of individual growth within a relationship. Coaches help partners support each other's personal development and pursue individual goals while maintaining a healthy balance with the relationship's needs.
8. Navigating Major Life Transitions: Significant life events, such as having children, relocating, or facing career changes, can impact a relationship. Couples coaching provides support during these transitions, helping partners adapt and grow together.
9. Strengthening Emotional Intelligence: Coaching can improve emotional intelligence within the couple. This involves understanding and managing emotions effectively, leading to greater emotional awareness and empathy towards each other.
10. Preventing Future Issues: Couples coaching equips partners with tools and strategies to prevent future conflicts and challenges. It fosters proactive communication and problem-solving skills, reducing the likelihood of recurring issues. Overall, couples coaching aims to create a safe and supportive space where partners can explore their relationship dynamics, work through challenges, and strengthen their commitment to each other. It empowers couples to build a loving and resilient partnership that can thrive in the face of life's complexities.
What is psychotherapy?Psychotherapy, also known as talk therapy or counseling, is a collaborative process between a trained therapist and an individual seeking support. It aims to explore thoughts, emotions, behaviors, and experiences to promote personal growth, emotional well-being, and address specific concerns. Psychotherapy encompasses various approaches, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, psychodynamic therapy, and humanistic therapy, tailored to meet the individual's needs.
How long does psychotherapy last? How many sessions will I need?The duration of psychotherapy varies depending on several factors, including the individual's goals, the complexity of their concerns, and their progress throughout the therapeutic process. Some individuals may benefit from short-term therapy, consisting of a few sessions or weeks, to address specific issues or provide immediate support. Long-term therapy may span several months or years, focusing on deeper exploration and ongoing personal development. The therapist and individual collaborate to determine the appropriate duration of therapy based on their unique circumstances. Sessions are typically scheduled to occur one time per week at the same time and day if possible. Your therapist may suggest a different amount of therapy depending on the nature and severity of your concerns. Your consistent attendance greatly contributes to a successful outcome. Due to the varying nature and severity of problems and the individuality of each client, we are unable to predict the length of your therapy or to guarantee a specific outcome or result. The length of your treatment depends on the specifics of your treatment plan and the progress you achieve. Most clients see their therapist once a week for 3 to 4 months. After that, they meet less often for several months. Therapy then usually comes to an end.
How do I find the right therapist for me?Finding the right therapist involves considering several factors. It's important to seek a licensed and qualified therapist with expertise in the specific concerns you want to address. You can ask for recommendations from trusted sources, such as healthcare professionals or friends who have had positive experiences with therapy. Online directories and therapist matching platforms can also help you find therapists in your area. Additionally, it's crucial to feel comfortable and have a good rapport with your therapist, so scheduling an initial consultation or phone call to assess the fit is recommended.
Do you accept insurance?For mental health issues, we accept Blue Cross Blue Shield and affiliates (CareFirst, Anthem, BCBS Federal Employee Program, etc.) and Cigna or Evernorth. HOWEVER, please note that to qualify for insurance benefits, therapy must be related to a mental health diagnosis, like anxiety, depression, PTSD, etc., that has medical necessity. Most insurance plans do not cover relationship or sexual issues. Yes, it is sad considering that these are often the primary drivers for mental health issues. Please do not ask us to bill your insurance for relationship or sexual issues without first contacting your insurance company to check to see if your plan covers it. (We don't want to keep asking them.) Also, we cannot make up a diagnosis either, as this is insurance fraud and can cost us our license and result in serious penalties. Plus, insurance companies occasionally audit psychotherapy notes to ensure that treatment is related to the reported diagnosis. You can always choose to skip insurance and pay for therapy out of pocket. This will maximize your privacy and widen your pool of therapists. Thank you for your understanding.
How much does therapy cost?The cost depends on the type of service provided, who your provider is, and how long it lasts for. Please contact us for up-to-date rates. We also offer a 10% discount for online teletherapy sessions due. Sessions that exceed these times by more than 10 minutes will be billed accordingly in 15-minute increments. Additional charges also apply for sessions after office hours or on weekends. More information can be found in our informed consent document available upon request. All rates are in US dollars. Good Faith Estimate You have the right to receive a “Good Faith Estimate” explaining how much your medical and mental health care will cost. Under the law, health care providers need to give patients who don’t have insurance or who are not using insurance an estimate of the expected charges for medical services, including psychotherapy services. You have the right to receive a Good Faith Estimate for the total expected cost of any non-emergency healthcare services, including psychotherapy services. You can ask your health care provider, and any other provider you choose, for a Good Faith Estimate before you schedule a service. If you receive a bill that is at least $400 more than your Good Faith Estimate, you can dispute the bill. Make sure to save a copy or picture of your Good Faith Estimate. For questions or more information about your right to a Good Faith Estimate, visit www.cms.gov/nosurprises or call (800) 985-3059.
Is psychotherapy confidential?Confidentiality is a fundamental principle in psychotherapy. Therapists are legally and ethically bound to maintain the privacy and confidentiality of the information shared during therapy sessions. However, there are a few exceptions to confidentiality, such as when there is a risk of harm to oneself or others, child or elder abuse, or when a court order requires the disclosure of information. Your therapist should explain their confidentiality policy and any exceptions during the initial sessions.
Do you offer virtual therapy and coaching sessions?Yes! In addition to in-person appointments, HigherChange also provides online video conferencing sessions for both therapy and coaching. We use an encrypted video conferencing platform that we have a HIPAA-compliant relationship with. However, you will need a smartphone with a built-in camera or a computer with a webcam and microphone. (If booking a virtual therapy appointment, be sure to select "Telehealth for Maryland/California/Singapore" and specify where you live as the Location.)
Is therapy really beneficial?The benefits of therapy have been demonstrated through research. People who are depressed may find their mood lifting. Others may no longer feel afraid, angry, or anxious. In therapy, people have a chance to talk things out fully until their feelings are relieved or the problems are solved. Your relationships and coping skills may improve greatly. You may get more satisfaction out of social and family relationships. Your personal goals and values may become clearer. You may grow in different areas of your life.
What if I can't make it to a scheduled appointment?Apart from unpredictable emergencies like snow days or illness, we require a 48-hour notice for cancellation and rescheduling. Otherwise, you may be charged the full session fee at 100%, and this charge may not be covered by insurance. To reschedule an appointment, select Appointments > Existing clients in the menu bar and follow the instructions there. Alternatively, you can call or email us using the contact information at the bottom of the screen.
About Dr. Luttrell
Dr. Luttrell can help you reconnect and realign with your truth authentic self by restoring emotional intimacy with yourself, partner, family, business, or spiritual relationships. He brings into coaching his experience working with couples as a therapist for 15 years.
"Dr. Luttrell is very professional. He strives to obtain the most helpful resources for clients and keep up to date on relevant approaches to aid clients in their therapy journey. He is friendly and approachable and highly empathic."
- Vanessa Q. (former colleague)
Select the Subject of Interest
Specify the issue you are interested in learning more about.
Marriage Matrix™ (Marriage from Biblical perspective)
Magnetic Mating™ (Christian Sexuality Education)
Unsure? Book a Call
Free 10-Minute Telephone Consultation
If you have any questions about our services, you can call us for a free 10-minute phoneconversation. There also may be times when you need to talk on the phone outside ofour regular appointment times. In case of an emergency, you may contact your coach fora telephone consult. If the call takes longer than 10 minutes, the time used will be chargedour regular fee, prorated in 15-minute blocks. All fees are subject to change.